Chapter VIII Deka Flexi : Alerting
Alerting menu is use to manage alert of the metric usages of the virtual machines.
List of Content
Alerting is a utility to oversee the instances. Alerting is use the email addres to notify the registered recipients.
This menu explains how to create an Alert. By create the alert user can identify if there are any issues with their instances.
- Go to Alerting page
Image 8.1 Alerting Page
- Click Create Alert button.
Image 8.2 Alerting Page - Create Alert
- Fill in the form Create Alert.
Table 8.1 Form Create Alert
|Name||Name of Alert|
|Description||Description of Alert|
|Select Metrics||To determine the context of the alert, so the recipients can oversee if there are any issues. The alert can be selected by one of these following metrics:
|Severity||To determine how critical the alert to notify the recipients.|
|Apply To||Select which instance to apply the Alert.|
|Send Alert Via||Choose the recipients of the alert.|
Image 8.3 Create Alert Form
Image 8.4 Create Alert Form
- Click Add more recipients link, then choose the recipients. Save the changes by click Add Recipients to Alert button.
Image 8.5 Add Alert Recipients
- The alert recipients have been added. Then, click the Create Alert button.
Image 8.6 Create Alert Form
- There will be a notification if the Alert is successfully created “Alert has been successfully created”
Image 8.7 Notification
- On the Alerting page, click the Edit button.
Image 8.8 Alerting Page
- You can edit all the form in the Edit Alert Page. For example, we can edit the alert time from 2 minutes to 1 minutes.
Image 8.9 Alerting Page - Edit Alert
- There will be a notification if the Alert is successfully updated “Alert has been successfully updated”
Image 8.10 Notification
- On the Alerting page, click the Delete button.
Image 8.11 Alerting Page
- Click the Destroy button to start the process of deleting Alert data or cancel if you don’t want to continue the process.
Image 8.12 Delete Confirmation
- There will be a notification if the Alert is successfully deleted “Alert has been successfully deleted”.
Gambar 8.13 Notification Successful
To make sure that the alert is already working and applied to the instance, go to the console to trigger the CPU, RAM, and Network Usage by following these steps:
- Click the Alerting page.
Image 8.14 Instance Page
- Select the More link, and then click the Access Console tab.
Image 8.15 Instance Page - Access Console
- Then, login to the instance using username and password that have been set while creating the instance.
Image 8.16 Instance Login
- If the login is successful, then use these following commands to trigger the metric usage. For example, in this step try to trigger the CPU Usage and the recipients will receive the alert on their email address.
Table 8.2 Command for Trigger
|CPU||for i in 1; do while true; do :; done & done|
|Disk||dd if=/dev/zero of=/tmp/tecst1.img bs=800MB count=1|
Image 8.17 CPU Trigger Command
- Check the CPU Usage Diagram on Details Instance page. If the trigger command is running there will be ups or downs on the graphic line of the CPU Usage Diagram. Then, the alert will notify the recipients based on the conditions that have been applied to it. For example, the recipients will receive an alert on their email address if the CPU Usage is above 1% and will keep receive the alert once per minutes based on the alert settings.
Image 8.18 CPU Diagram After Trigger
Image 8.19 Recipients Alert